Summer Running Around Boston
With the weather quickly climbing to more suitable temperatures, Bostonian runners are taking to the streets and parks to shake off the chill of winter. This is the time of year when the city hosts a variety of foot races including the renowned Boston Marathon. If the regular running along pavement is not enough motivation for you to register for any ordinary race there are various extraordinary races occurring over the next few months. Check out some of these “fun runs” taking place in and around the city.
Foam Glow 5K 4/25/15
- Race Day: Registration opens 5 p.m., race to begin at 8 p.m.
- Location: Brockton Fairground, Brockton MA
- Price: $40/person.
- Information: as if glow runs are not enjoyable enough the world of racing has brought runners Foam Glow. Foam lit by black lights placed around the course provides a challenging obstacle to contestants as they try to sprint through color-coded zones of foam. Everything used in the production of the race is non-toxic, including the bumping post-race party.
Zombie Race 5K & 15K 4/26/15
- Race Day: Registration opens 9 a.m., first heat to begin at 9:30 a.m.
- Location: Kimball Farm, Haverhill MA.
- Price: 5K – $85/person. 15K – $105/person. Zombie – $40/person.
- Information: if you need motivation to get that “best time” then this is the race for you. Armed with health flags racers will sprint from “zombies” through a course laden with mud to reach the finish line, and safety. Campsites can be purchased for those who want a zombie-filled weekend complete with races, events and zombie tag.
The Color Run 5K 5/31/15
- Race Day: Registration opens at 10 a.m., race to begin 10:45 a.m.
- Location: Gillette Stadium, Foxborough MA.
- Price: Solo – $49.50/person. Team of 4 – $45/person.
- Information: a.k.a. The Happiest 5k on the Planet, racers in this run are doused with color every kilometer and stand as a work of art at the finish line. Contestants must wear white and are invited to the best fun run after-party complete with music, dancing and more color.
Spectacle Island 5K 6/14/15
- Race Day: Registration opens at 8 a.m., race to begin at 9:30 a.m.
- Location: Hingham Shipyard, Boston MA.
- Price: $40/person.
- Information: sponsored by the Boston Harbor Island Alliance for the fourth year, this race rounds the island to provide stunning views of the city. After the race runners can enjoy a picnic lunch, music and a post-race yoga session. Awards are offered for those in the first place of their age bracket.
Pauliestock 5K 6/28/15
- Race Day: Registration will be from 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on June 26th, race to begin at 11 a.m.
- Location: 152 Green Street, Worcester MA.
- Price: $35/person.
- Information: this race is held on the final day of Paulies New Orleans Jazz and Blues Festival and features an awards ceremony and complimentary refreshments. An additional wristband for the festival can be purchased for $25 after the race. After running along the Esplanade racers can enjoy the smooth sounds of various blues bands.