Recipes with Casey: Black Bean Soup
It’s that time of year again when I start to question my decision to live in New England as I remember that I hate all things cold. Like most problems I encounter, I turn to food as a solution to living in a place where the air hurts my face. Black bean soup is a great winter recipe; easy prep, full of protein and filling. This recipe is also gluten free, vegan, high-protein, and low carb!
- 2 cans plain black beans
- ½ a small yellow onion
- 3 stalks of celery
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Drain black beans, then empty contents into a pot on low to medium heat.
- Dice onion, celery and tomato; add to pot, stirring to evenly distribute.
- Add vegetable stock.
- Add cayenne, celery salt, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and turn to low heat.
- Let simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Stir and enjoy!