Recipes with Casey: Simple White Wine Penne
When I get home after a long day at school or work I am usually cranky, hungry and exhausted. Even as someone who loves to cook, I have moments where I’m just ready to reach for the phone and order some greasy take-out to satisfy a growling stomach. After finding the will power to stop myself, this meal is my go to dish. It’s easy and fast to make, and has complex carbs to fully satisfy.
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Gluten-free pasta
- Whole cremini mushrooms
- White wine/cooking wine
- Freshly- grated parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Place a pot of water on high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil for the pasta.
- Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of a medium saucepan and place on medium heat.
- Mince and add about a tablespoon of garlic to the pan.
- While the garlic is heating up, halve the tomatoes.
- Add tomatoes to the pan and toss in the garlic.
- Dice mushrooms and add to the pan.
- Bring water to boil and add pasta with a pinch of salt. Cook until tender.
- Continue to stir the sauce and turn to low heat.
- Tear basil leaves to the mixture and add about a handful.
- Add just enough wine to let the sauce simmer.
- Stir the mixture for about 5 minutes and then serve over pasta and top with cheese. Garnish with fresh basil.